Spousal Support

Reputable Alimony Lawyer in Clayton, MO

When a couple is married, they become accustomed to their income and lifestyle together. When one spouse earns much more than the other, or one spouse is completely dependent on the other financially, divorce can be devastating for the lower-earning spouse. Spousal support, which is often referred to as alimony, is a court ordered payment from one ex-spouse to the other. It is meant to help  bridge the gap between an ex-spouse’s income and reasonable living expenses. In cases where one spouse is unemployed or underemployed, we partner with local vocational experts to determine whether that spouse could earn enough to meet his or her reasonable needs without spousal support.


When you divorce with your spouse, there are a number of decisions to make that could have a lasting impact on the quality of your life. Spousal support is one of them. Whether you are looking to establish or fight against a court order for alimony, a spousal support lawyer at the Law Offices of Margot H. Beasley in St. Louis, MO can assist you throughout the process. Learn more about divorce alimony and alimony payments by contacting a qualified lawyer. 

An Alimony Attorney Can Help You Establish, Modify, or Enforce a Spousal Support Order

Courts expect both parties to be financially independent after they divorce, however, they understand that under certain circumstances, this can’t be immediately possible for the lower-earning spouse. The establishment and duration of a spousal support order is dependent on:


  • The income of each spouse
  • The earning potential of each spouse (education, job training, capabilities)
  • If either spouse is disabled or unable to work for a valid reason
  • The duration of the marriage
  • The assets, debts, and financial obligations of each spouse
  • The conduct of each spouse during the marriage 
  • + other related factors 

The order maybe permanent in cases where the dependent spouse is incapable of earning an income because they are disabled, elderly, or have been married for many years. Whether a couple has minor children is also a factor in an award of spousal support Spousal support orders may be modified when there has been a significant change in circumstances. For example, the paying party may request a modification if they lose their job or take a pay cut. They may also request a modification if it is found that the dependent party is being supported financially by someone else or has an increase in income An alimony lawyer can help you petition for a modification or enforce an order when your ex-spouse is refusing to comply. 

Consult With an Experienced Spousal Support Attorney Today

Would you like to discuss your situation with an alimony lawyer? Call (314) 727-5533 or fill out our online contact form to request a free initial consultation.

Check Us Out Online



Get the guidance you need to take the next step forward

Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top